Monday, December 15, 2008

Top 20 Christmas Songs of All Time


I am feeling the Christmas spirit even more so now that I am in Boston AND the fact it's going to snow a ton this weekend!:-) Hell, it's even snowing in Vegas right now!!! I decided to put a list together of my Top 20 favorite Christmas songs and what artist version I prefer. Enjoy!



#20 - I’ll Be Home for Christmas sung by Johnny Mathis

Most of us all associate the holidays with being home and this song says just that. Great song sung by one of the best male vocalists of all time.


#19 - Winter Wonderland sung by Annie Lennox

I am a huge fan of Annie Lennox and of this song. The combination of the two makes this by far the best version of this classic Christmas tune.


#18 - Do They Know it’s Christmas sung by Free4 & Christmas Allstars

Ah yea, the British invasion of 80s pop starts have one of their most memorable moments with this great holiday song. Bono, Boy George, George Michael, Bob Geldof and many more spin together a holiday classic that is approaching its 25th anniversary.

#17 - Ave Maria sung by Celine Dion

Everyone is familiar with this classic and everyone has sung this song. Celine owns this song and sends chills down your spine belting this one out.


#16 - I Wonder as I Wander sung by Barbra Streisand

One of the saddest Christmas songs ever and Streisand adds that extra warmth to it. Don’t listen to this version if you’re having a blue Christmas.


#15 - Frosty the Snowman sung by Jimmy Durante

Another song that reminds me of my childhood, going outside after a snowstorm and building a snowman hoping it comes to life. :-)Great fun song. Another fave of Zach's


#14 - What Child Is This? sung by Vanessa Williams

Always liked this song but I love this jazz version of it sung by former Miss America Vanessa Williams. It's the best version of this song ever.


#13 - Do You Hear What I Hear – Whitney Houston

I was never keen on this song until I heard Whitney sing it. One of the best voices ever and she makes this song enjoyable. You just want to sing along with it!


#12 - Santa Claus is Coming to Town sung by Bruce Springsteen

I used to hate this version of this song but as I got older I have learned to appreciate what a classic it really is. BRUCE!


#11 - All I Want for Christmas is You sung by Mariah Carey

As much as I dislike Mariah Carey, I give her credit for writing a great, catchy modern day Christmas song. This song makes you want to dance around the Christmas tree and drink tons of egg nog with lots of booze in it:-)


#10 - My Grownup Christmas List sung by Natalie Cole

Father and daughter both in my top ten! This song always makes me sad. There's still a little kid in all of us around the holidays and this song sums up those feelings. Great song for the kid in all of us.


#9 - Feliz Navidad sung by Jose Feliciano

This song always gets me into a great mood around the holidays. I love the upbeat tempo to the song and how fun is it to sing FELIZ NAVIDAD!


#8 - Jingle Bells sung by Alvin & the Chipmunks

Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh! Another classic that has to be in my top ten. I choose Alvin and the Chipmunks version because right now, it's Zach's favorite song and version.


#7 - White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby

Another voice that is so recognizable and associated with the holidays. Everyone in the world has sung White Christmas, but when Bing sings it, you can't help but want the snow to start falling from the skies.


#6 - It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year sung by Andy Williams

Andy Williams just sounds like a Christmas song when he sings. This is a great song because it encompasses the feelings most people get around the Christmas holiday.


#5 - Happy Christmas (War is Over)

A legend singing a great song. Love the lyrics and the meaning behind this song.



#4 - Oh Holy Night sung by Celine Dion

Oh Holy Night is probably one of the oldest Christmas songs and the song stands alone on it's own merit BUT I challenge you to listen to Celine Dion's version of it and not get goose bumps. UNREAL!


#3 - The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) – Nat King Cole

Classic song! This is by far the best version. Nat King Cole has one of the best voices ever. EVERYONE knows this song!


#2 - Silver & Gold sung by Burl Ives

I have loved this song ever since I first saw Rudolph the red-Nosed Reindeer as a child. Burl's voice I classic and I love the lyrics to this song.


#1 - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas sung by Judy Garland

Hands down my favorite Christmas song ever. The combination of the sad lyrics and Garland's amazing voice. It's hard not to get all warm and fuzzy inside listening to this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I was reading down your list and was thinking where the hell is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christamas! I was glad to see it was number 1 on your list. I also love The Pretenders version, there is a wistfullness about it.

When are you coming home for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

I agree with many of the songs on your list! My favorite Vanessa Williams' song is "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." Such an original take. Your number one pick of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is also mine. I must have 25 versions of that song and I love them all. Of course, Judy is the best. My friend owns the gown she wore while singing that song in the movie. The first time I saw it, I almost cried! I did't know it would move me so much. But it IS my favorite Christmas song. So that is my defense!