Monday, February 16, 2009


This past weekend has been interesting...Paul and I were looking forward to a nice long weekend with Monday (Feb 16th) being a holiday and Zach was with his Mom and Nanny all weekend, we were going to have a lot of time on our hands. So we decided to finish up the new apartment and on Saturday morning we headed to IKEA to get some last minute picture frames and such.

We had a great time together selecting some nice finishing touches that would really complete our new apartment - on Valentine's Day. I even saw a few co-workers there and we chatted about our similar purchases and how good the cinnamon buns smell when you leave IKEA.

Paul and I headed home after leaving IKEA, but we decided to stop at a sandwich shoppe in our new neighborhood -- we waited a good 15 minutes for two sandwiches to be made and I was losing my patience, I just wanted to get home, eat and then get on with the rest of the day.

We got home and carried a few of our purchases up to our place .. It was 2:15 in the afternoon. We came through the back door and entered through the kitchen. I noticed that the kitchen window was slightly open and the shade was extended over the sink. I thought it was funny since that window was almost impossible to open. I headed into the living room and noticed right away something was wrong and someone had been in our apartment. My work computer was gone, they ransacked my workbag with many of my personal possessions in it and Paul's laptop was gone as well.

As my eyes searched the place, Paul and I heard the gate downstairs to the building slam shut and we realized that the burglar was still in the apartment when we came home and they fled out the front door. I ran down the stairs to see if I could see anyone running..but it was too late. I called the cops and landlord and we dealt with the logistics of it all.

Having your home violated really sucks especially after just moving into a place, but I have to say I am thankful no one was hurt and we stopped the burglar from getting anything else by coming home when he was in the house. The police were great and with the details of the robbery we have a strong lead to who the person is.

At first, I was really bothered, pissed, angry and all..but it only lasted a few hours and didn't let that incident stop me from doing the day-to-day things in life. Just another one of life's tests and yet again, I passed:-)


Michael Rivers said...

Very sorry to hear about the break-in! But, glad to know that you passed another of life's tests! I hope you are enjoying your new home!

Frank said...

That sucks...
Thank God Zach was not with you.

Patrick Lentz Photography said...

This has happened to you both twice in the past few years. You need to get a really good security system or a couple of pitbulls!