Wednesday, April 18, 2007

American "Idle"

Above: A caricature of the judges: Randy, Paula & Simon.

I have been watching American Idol since the first season; I have not missed a season. I really have enjoyed the majority of the seasons, but this season is by far the worst in the history of American Idol. How much longer will the show last? In the past Idol seasons you could envision a few of the contestants being really big pop stars. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Kimberley Locke, Jennifer Hudson, Katharine McPhee and so on. This season I really cannot picture anyone being a huge star; no one is marketable enough to sell a boatload of records like Clarkson or Underwood. Kelly Clarkson has sold 20+ million albums worldwide and won two Grammy Awards in 2006. Carrie Underwood has sold 10+million albums worldwide, has 4 number one country hits, a slew of Country Music Awards and two Grammy Awards. Let’s not forget the biggest prize of them all went to Jennifer Hudson earlier this year, an Oscar for Best-Supporting Actress in “Dreamgirls.”

Above: Carrie Underwood vs Kelly Clarkson who is better?
Which one will be the most successful?


I still love the show and have my favorites. Melinda Doolittle is by far one of the best vocalists ever on Idol but is she marketable to the public? I would by her CD in a minute but the public views the image of the performer these days over the voice. I thought Melinda was going to be a sure win this season until one contestant really started to shine through; Jordin Sparks. By far, Jordin is the most improved singer and in my opinion the most marketable of the bunch. Her voice is amazing for a 17 year old. Blake Lewis by far the best male on this season, but he’s painful to watch when he is singing, that mouth. It’s kind of like trying to watch John Mayer sing, it’s not appealing. So my prediction for the top 3 will be: Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis. I will go out on a limb and say Jordin Sparks will be the next American Idol.

Above: My prediction, Jordin Sparks will be the next American Idol.

As far as the rest go, Chris Richardson, Phil Stacey, Sanjaya Malakar and Lakisha Jones they will all be going home in that order, possibly an upset, with Sanjaya making it into the final four over Lakisha.

No comments: